Downsizing? We’ve been home builders in New Hanover County and the region since 1992 and know the decisions you’re facing. Ask these questions to find a neighborhood that’s a good fit.
The kids are grown and gone, and your nest is empty. You’re thinking about downsizing, but where will you go? Here are nine questions to ask yourself as you’re checking out new neighborhoods.
- Is accessibility important to you? Do you need to be close to work, major highways and an airport?
- Do you want to be within walking distance or a short drive of shopping and restaurants?
- Do you still love hearing kids play or are you ready for peace and quiet? If you’re ready for peace and quiet, an adult community will be the best choice for you.
- Would you enjoy getting together with neighbors or do you prefer going it alone? If you like socializing with neighbors, look for a community where there are neighborhood yard sales, barbecues and holiday celebrations. If you tend to be a loner, a very social neighborhood might not be a good fit for you.
- Are you an organizer? Do you thrive on being involved? Check the community newspaper and look online for volunteer opportunities where you can contribute your skills and energy.
- Do you enjoy walking and bikng? Take a look at Waterford of the Carolinas, one of our communities in Leland. It boasts 12 miles of hiking/biking trails, among other amenities
- Are you looking for onsite amenities, like a pool and golf course? Most of the communities where Trusst Builder Group builds have both. But put Winding River Plantation in Bolivia on your list of places to visit. You’ll find a pool, golf course, private oceanfront club, marina and more there.
- Is the area safe? Check the crime rate. But also think about how easily you’ll be able to get out if there’s a weather emergency.
- How much are the property taxes, and will you be able to afford them easily? Also, look at property values in the neighborhoods you’re considering and the ones around them. And could proposed nearby development affect property values?
As home builders in New Hanover County and surrounding areas for many years, we know the area well. To learn more about lifestyles in the communities where we work, just contact Trusst Builder Group. We’ll be glad to help.